This Is What It’s Really Like Backstage At The Brits
Spoiler alert: includes a fairground, secret rooms, photobooths, and a shit load of free make-up.
1. The Brit Awards is always a pretty spectacular night of glamour and music.
But what goes on behind-the-scenes is pretty much reserved for the celebs. However, I managed to go backstage at the O2 arena and see all the stuff that people much richer and famous will be enjoying. Here’s what I learned.
2. There is a very cool ~secret~ backstage area for the presenters, Ant and Dec, to hang out in.
This area at first looks like a bedroom, with floral wall paper, a wardrobe and excellent needle-point art on the walls saying things like: “If your name’s not down…have a safe journey home.”
That’s me in the mirror by the way — I thought that seeing as my name will never be down on any list, I may as well prove I’ve at least seen the signs.
Also, that mirrored wardrobe turned out to be an actual SECRET DOOR that led into another room which is pretty damn cool.
3. The next room — which is still part of Ant and Dec’s backstage area — is much larger than the first and features a bar, massive sofas, a TV, books, and a photobooth.
5. And that long bookcase on the far left hand side is ANOTHER SECRET DOOR. I got pretty excited at this stage and decided to film Matt, our photographer, opening it.
6. This final room contains one massive TV, a PlayStation, a bunch of games, and Guitar Hero.
8. There are two whole corridors of dressing rooms for the performers. When we arrived there were people putting up the first few signs on the doors.
Sadly Taylor Swift’s dressing room had not yet been identified by a sign so I couldn’t go and get on my hands and knees outside it in an act of worship of the ground she walks on.
11. There are outlines of feet along these corridors, containing the words “This way for the Brits Spa”. That sounded pretty glamorous so I decided to check it out.
12. And it turns out that celebrities backstage at the Brits have access to a room which up until now had been something I’d only ever seen in my dreams.
13. It begins with a B make-up area, with lit mirrors and piles of cosmetic products just waiting to be applied to the faces of the rich and famous.
16. Next up is a photobooth, which for the purposes of research, I decided to test out.
I imagine that all the celebrities will be doing this exact pose on Wednesday night.
17. These were the results.
18. Just around the corner is a pic â€˜n’ mix stand which Matt and I in no way took advantage of.
I am also in no way eating what’s left in my bag while writing this post.
20. And after the sweets there is a VO5 hair station where stylists are on hand to perfect those famous barnets.
21. There’s also a screen in this area that you can write messages on using hairspray. It’s kind of like being a graffiti artist for five minutes and is pretty damn cool.
22. And as if that wasn’t enough, there is also a Simple rehydration station, where facial treatments are offered using Micellar water.
Sidenote: If you’ve not heard of that then buy some because it will literally change your life.
23. There is also a casual spray-tan booth because a sunkissed glow is an absolute must for any red carpet appearance.
24. And the final station at the spa is a nail bar, with more colour options than I’ve ever seen.
26. Completely separate from the spa is the artists’ lounge, where the people performing at the BRITs can hang out during rehearsals and on the night of the ceremony itself.
27. They have access to a bar, offering up drinks.
28. As well as a pretty tasty menu, including salads, club sandwiches, burritos, and hot dogs.
30. Anyone in the artists’ lounge gets a goodie bag. There is one for men and one for women and they contain a shitload of amazing stuff.
31. This is the women’s goodie bag.
It contains a Paul’s Boutique handbag, JBL headphones, Northskull bracelets, Hugo Boss perfume, and a Sensichic candle.
32. And this is the men’s goodie bag.
This contains a satchel, Bose speakers, Hugo Boss aftershave, a Shine fitness and sleep monitor, and an RE camera.
33. I also managed to get my hands on a BRIT Award itself, which was designed by Tracey Emin and came in this pretty box.
34. The BRIT Award is a lovely shade of pale pink, and is covered with the words: “Congratulations on your talent, on your life, on everything you give to others. Thank you.”
36. There is also a cute rosette on the back, and the whole thing is enough to make you want to somehow gain a bit of musical talent so you could put one on your mantlepiece, right?
37. After the winners of the night have collected their awards, they head through to the winners’ press room. Here, they stand in front of these screens and pose for photos with their award.
38. They then go through to a second room where they stand on this stage and answer questions from the assembled media.
39. Most of the guests at the Brits watch the show and dine in the main arena area of the O2. However, due to the size of the stage it’s not possible for everyone to be seated here.
40. There is an overspill area in a room behind the arena where the remaining guests are seated for dinner. When I made my trip backstage two days before the event, the area was still very much under construction.
41. Once completed, it will hold dining tables and a stage, where James Bay will be serenading the guests.
42. And after the meal, this area is then cleared out to make space for the Brits afterparty. Which involves fricking DODGEMS…
43. …A HELTER SKELTER…
44. …AND A FERRIS WHEEL.
45. The final stop of my backstage tour was the arena itself where the ceremony will take place. It’s accessed by passing this sign which will be seen by every single performer on the night.
So this means I have something in common with Taylor Swift and that is my biggest achievement so far this year.
46. Unfortunately, the inside of the arena and the layout of the stage must remain top secret until the night. This means that I can only leave you with this final image of the seats just behind the stage.
47. But, what I will say is that the whole thing looks AMAZING. Roll on Wednesday evening.
The Brit Awards 2015 will air at 8pm on ITV on Wednesday 25 February.